Question: Why should these two children not be playing this close together on this horizontal ladder equipment?
A.) Bodies will hit each other when they swing as they move from bar to bar.
B.) Equipment won’t support their combined weight.
C.) Brothers and sisters must always play on separate equipment.
Bodies will hit each other when they swing as they move from bar to bar.
Additional Guidelines and Recommendations
- Adults supervise children to ensure they are playing appropriately on equipment.1
- Four year olds are generally the youngest children able to use this horizontal ladder type equipment.
- First handhold on either end is not placed directly above the platform or climbing rung used to mount/dismount.
- Horizontal distance to first handhold is < 10 inches but not directly above platform or 8-10 inches from climbing rungs, depending on access type.
- Space between adjacent rungs for 4-5 year olds is 9-12 inches apart, evenly spaced and parallel.
- Space between adjacent rungs for school age is 9-15 inches.
- Maximum platform height for 4-5 year olds is 18 inches; maximum height of ladder structure is 60 inches.
- Maximum platform height for school age is 36 inches, maximum structure height is 84 inches.